Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Safety & Security

Receiving ample instructions on how to have a safe stay here in Niger, I feel that it is time to share some of these gems and let you know that your tax dollars are working hard to keep me safe and secure above all else.

According to the Embassy, I should never get into a taxi cab. One would then think that the other remaining options would be acceptable since Niamey is a rather large city- in fact, the Economist has said that it the fastest growing city in the world. This leaves the moped, bicycle, donkey cart, camel as possible vehicles to negotiate the dusty town. These however are not certified, deemed dangerous and therefore acceptable. It seems that one is left to walk from place to place. Distances can be a bit long, and although the weather is rather cool now, things are about to heat up drastically. I suppose that I should think of walking as the sole bit of exercise I am doing other than the daily mandible workout, although walking is in fact also discouraged. It is advised for all Americans to in fact have personal cars (and drivers preferably) and not to leave home unless absolutely necessary. One American wife has followed this advice to the letter and has not left her walled compound surrounded by razor wire in the 7 weeks she has been here. Is seems that “Safety & Security” is in fact defined as remaining as insular as possible.

I wanted to share a couple other gems from the lengthy packet of information on this topic that I received.

1) “Be alert and drive defensively. Vehicle damage is preferable to personal injury.” Um, at the expense of whose personal injury?

2)“In certain situations your own vehicle can be used as a 300lb weapon. Most people will get out of the way of a fast moving vehicle. No matter what the outcome, do not stop your vehicle until you have cleared the scene.”

From previous experiences I knew to pack many zip lock bags in various sizes- they help keep the dust out of electronics among other uses. But this next little gem brought new meaning to "sëaling freshness."

3)“Stock a supply of zip lock bags. In the event that water services fail, plastic bags can be used as an emergency toilet.”

Thank goodness I brought the 2.5 gallon bags!

Niamey has been great and I am getting adjusted to things. It is a bit dusty (as to be expected) and seeing camels saunter down the avenues has been a daily occurance. So far I spend most of my days running around the city trying to meet up with people who have promised to help me find housing, or embarking on a small adventure into the Grande Marche to find a pumice stone for my poor feet. I have been to the National Hospital to observe the surgeries and also am starting to spend some time at Dimol where a hot airless room has become my office. The Pulaar is coming in handy, and just as I start to get frustrated with my poor (absurdly infantile) French, I run into someone who speaks Fulani. The dialects are close enough so that although the wording may be different, we are totally understood. It is exciting, since at times of feeling overwhelmed and inadequate, I am reminded that I actually have this tucked away in my pocket for use. Not having time to really buy fabric and go to a tailor, I have be sporting my three Senegalese outfits around town. Everytime, I am met with ÿour shirt's too big!"- seems that to have your shirt fall off one shoulder was all the rage a few years ago in Dakar, but here in Niamey it is so 1999---I look like the poor anasara who has once again failed in an attempt to blend in. A trip to the tailor will do me, and I will soon be putting the much adored teal fabric printed with guinea-foul in the hands of a tailor for a pants outfit. I have tried to upload some photos, but have failed so far. Hopefully I can work that out soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas, Steph! I'm thinking about you!

Love,
Farrah